Monday, March 07, 2011

WHAT NOW?

I'm finding that the buildup to a marathon and then the actual race is like a mountain top experience. Afterward there is this question of what to do now? Your life can get so focused on the training that when it's not there you're left with an empty space. It's tempting to fill it up quickly with more plans for more races. But that empty space is okay. It's okay to just let it be there. Look at it. Maybe the empty space is reminding me that running cannot be the defining element of my life. It's not enough to satisfy the really big things in my heart and soul. And someday I will no longer run or race.

God knows this. This is why He continually calls us to worship Him and give thanks. He is big enough and worthy enough to satisfy completely and infinitely.

So today I am asking, "What now?" I am getting back to a "normal" routine. I'm continuing to rest and recover. But I will not panic, grasping blindly for things to put in that empty space. I will look to Him and wait full of thanksgiving and worship.

1,000 Thanks
my dog was perfectly behaved while we were gone
my wonderful in-laws and their good humor and generous spirit
CR friends who embody the love of Christ
routines that give order to a wayward heart

No comments: