Tuesday, August 17, 2010

GIVING THANKS WITHOUT FEAR

Do you ever act like God operates according to Murphy's Law? Of course, you would never admit that you believed that.

But it's the bald truth that what we believe isn't always what we say we believe. If we look at our prayers and the patterns of our lives, we can find the truth.

I know gratitude is lacking in my life. "...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:18. So the other day I was giving thanks and the old voices would come into my mind. They're like a squeaky wheel, a broken record. I give thanks for a strong body and good health and immediately the thought comes into my mind that, of course, someone is going to get sick now. It doesn't help that I can remember several instances where this has happened.

Does God operate according to Murphy's Law? Murphy's Law is a pessimisstic philosophy really. If you take the time to google it, you will find that every variation on Murphy's Law expects a bad outcome. It reminds me of Puddleglum in The Silver Chair. He is constantly expecting things to be as bad as they can be.

But God does not operate according to Murphy's Law. Satan would love me to believe this but I must renew my mind according to His Word.

At the root of my problem is unbelief in the goodness of God. A pessimist believes that things will always be bad, but a Christian should be filled with hope and joy. I don't think a pessimist believes they are worthy of good things happening. Maybe that's at the root of my problem as well. Am I worthy of good things happening?

This is where I should stop everything and go to one place - the Cross. In one sense, I was not worthy of the Cross. God had every right to pass over me and the rest of the human race.

But He didn't. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 He loved me, He pursued me, He redeemed me. And so while there was nothing in me that could deserve salvation, He freely bestowed it on me.

So the renewal of my mind must begin with this. The foundation is His goodness.

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever!" Psalm 107:1

No comments: