Tuesday, July 27, 2010

MARATHON TRAINING...WHOA?! WHAT?!

Some people who read this blog know that I started running about two and a half years ago as a challenge. If you've seen the book Do Hard Things for teenagers then there we go - this has been my hard thing. My husband started running soon after I did and it's become a shared hobby that's enriched our marriage a lot. My husband started talking about doing a marathon at the end of last year. I was adamant - not gonna do it. "I'm not in the right season of life," said I.

(Gulp) Today was day 2 of marathon training - for me...yes, me. My husband too.

Both of us are signed up for the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon on November 13th. Seriously, I never thought I'd be doing this. But I'm loving the challenge. Running has been a new way to push myself and the next level of challenge, the marathon, was inevitable I guess. A frequent running partner of mine last fall did her first marathon last December and that's when I started asking myself, "Why not?"

This summer we've been doing long runs of 10-12 just so when the training starts I won't be so exhausted. I do have other responsibilities you know, so I need to be able to recover from these 40 mile weeks so I can homeschool. Ha!

I'm also seeing a common thread in my life through all this running and training. Just as I analyze my walk with the Lord too much, I analyze my running performance way too much as well. I don't enjoy it sometimes. Try to relate this race experience to the Christian life - I'm running a 5K (3.1 miles) and hoping to beat my PR (personal record). I'm worried about going out too fast the first mile and then dying on the hill in the middle of the course, but if I don't go out fast enough there won't be enough race left to make up the time. I get to mile two and check my watch. Rats! I do some quick math in my head and realize I have to run a 7-minute third mile to break my PR. Not happening! I keep on going and finish strong but am disappointed that I didn't make my goal.

I find that I check my watch and do the math in my head a lot during races. I guess that's kind of like the continual analysis of my walk with the Lord and always asking, "Am I doing enough? Am I okay Lord?" This is not the way to be either as a runner or as a Christian.

In the Message, Eugene Peterson translates Matthew 11:28-30 this way -
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. In running and in walking with the Lord.

I'll keep you updated on my training progress. How is your walk?

Each step for His glory.....

No comments: