Wednesday, April 27, 2005

SHEPHERDING A CHILD'S HEART an introduction

Today is the start of a book review of Ted Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart (SACH) by Karen, Lis and yours truly. Please continue to check back every Wednesday as we review this book on childrearing. Feel free to jump into the discussion either in the comments section or on your own blog.

One disclaimer - before we get started I want to encourage anyone who comments to do so in a respectful manner. We all have strong opinions when it comes to our children and how to raise them. (I'm raising my hand here!) Let's make sure our convictions and strong opinions line up with the word of God.

First off, I want to introduce myself and my family. My husband and I have been married 9+ years and have three children: J(boy) is 8, C(boy) is 5, and S(girl) is almost 4. For our whole married life, we've let God plan our family size. When I first had J, I was determined to be a good mother and I devoured anything I could find on the subject. I had little experience with babies and children and so my legalistic nature was naturally drawn to the Ezzo's material. I have, in the past several years, seen the error in a lot of their teaching. The other people who have influenced my parenting style are Elisabeth Elliot, her daughter Valerie Shepard, and Denise Glenn (Motherwise). I started out a very strict parent and had a lot of anxiety that I wasn't doing the right thing. There wasn't much joy in my relationship with my son in the beginning. Unfortunately, I think a lot of that was the result of the Ezzo's teaching. I was drawn to Ted Tripp's book because it seemed to be approaching the subject in a very different way - not only a biblical way but a less legalistic way.

The author has over twenty years experience as a pastor (Presbyterian), counselor, school administrator and father. On the back of the book there are blurbs of endorsement from Dr. David Powlison (Westminster Theological Seminary), Rev. John MacArthur, Dr. Edward Welch (Christian Counseling and Education Foundation), and Elisabeth Elliot.

In the Introduction, Mr. Tripp laments the state of parenting in our culture. He says there are basically two approaches to parenting in our culture today - 1. a self-absorbed style which throws off any idea of authority and 2. an "old 1950s John Wayne approach" which emphasizes a very strict authoritarian ideal. He says neither approach is working and the evangelical culture is nearly as lost as society at large. He then states that the situation is not hopeless; we need to return to the Bible which is our "only safe guide." The overview of his approach that will be outlined in the book can be summed up in this quote -

"The parenting task is multifaceted. It involves being authorities who are kind, shepherding your children to understand themselves in God's world, and keeping the gospel in clear view so your children can internalize the good news and someday live in mutuality with you as people under God."

The authority concept has never been a problem for me. My husband and I have always emphazied to our children that while we all live under God's authority, He has placed them under our authority. What I love about Mr. Tripp's approach is that he goes beyond the usual advice of all the parenting experts out there. We all know we're supposed to be in charge as parents but many times we "tend toward a crass kind of John Wayne authoritarianism..." He goes on to point out the importance of being a "benevolent despot" who communicates with your children and doesn't just tell them what to do. We must also incorporate the gospel into our parenting. Here's a quote that just blew me away --

"People frequently ask if I expected my children to become believers. I usually reply that the gospel is powerful and attractive. It uniquely meets the needs of fallen humanity. Therefore, I expected that God's Word would be the power of God to salvation for my children. But that expectation was based on the power of the gospel and its suitability to human need, not on a correct formula for producing children who believe."

He goes on to say that we need to not only hold forth God's standard, but also explain that this standard cannot be achieved apart from the good news of the gospel. To separate the Law from the gospel will only produce high achieving, well behaved lost children. This is a revolutionary idea for me. So often I can get stuck in my own prideful goals as a parent. Is my goal to have perfect children or children who have been molded and shaped by the transforming power of the gospel and grow to be mature, gracious young adults with whom I can feel a "wonderful sense of mutuality" as Mr. Tripp says.

I'm excited about this book. I am such a formula-hound. Does that make sense? I want to know the right way to do things. It's like I'm searching for just the right computer program that will spit out the right information. Parenting, and life for that matter, are not like that. May I lean on God's word for direction and revel in His marvelous grace towards me and my family.

Lord, I am such a Pharisee most of the time. Please forgive me and enable me, by the trasforming power of Your grace, to not only hold up the high standard of the Law but also lead my children to the Cross with its wonderful good news of forgiveness, redemption and restoration that will enable them to obey You, glorify You and enjoy You forever. In the name of Jesus and for His sake I pray, Amen.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I soooooooo know what you mean about being a "formula-hound." God has soooooooo broken me and is breaking me on that one, in so many ways. I think the tendancy to seek a formula is somewhat cultural (our "scientific age," you know) but also somewhat becuase it's easier to follow a formula than it is to have a RELATIONSHIP (with God and with others). I know that's a big part of why I've always sought for the "right formula," that is.

I'm going to go read the other reviews soon--gotta go hang with my little "not-formulaic" children now. :o)

Great post!

Meredith said...

Molly,

Thanks for stopping in and taking the time to comment. I'm glad I'm not the only one who searches for the right formula. I think it also has something to do with our belief that if we just find the right formula (in parenting, dieting, marriage) then our lives will be perfect. That is such the devil's lie and one that I constantly have to fight.

Blessings.

elisa said...

What a wonderful and thorough introduction!
A Formula can fell so good at first, then it always turns and starts to choke my life out. One would think I'd learn. Hmmm, One would think.
Great post!

Spunky said...

Loved the review and this is one of two books that I recommend to prospective parents. Glad to see others are taking parenting seriously. One thing I have learned in my parenting about this whole thing is this little equation. Rules without relationship leads to rebellion and relationships with out rules leads to lawlessness. Only the Holy Spirit can help achieve the right balance. Dependency on him and Him alone is the key.

Meredith said...

Amen, amen and amen Spunky. Thanks for commenting and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Blessings.

Karen said...

I agree with the authority comments you made, Meredith...I don't think my children have ever suffered over-indulgences; I've probably been much more stern than I should...I want a balance that is godly. Here's to sanctification in the next few months!! ;-D

~Karen

Anonymous said...

Great beginning Meredith, I appreciate your heart. I can relate. I too, was looking for that formula. One Sunday, when ds was 3, I was chatting with a Wise and learned Mom of many and said, passionately mind you, because I was completely serious, "You know, I just want to know HOW to do it, if I just had a formula to follow!" She kinda chortled in her New York accent, "Yeah, me too!". I was taken aback! And I figured out for the first time that "I'm not going to find it. I've gotta go through the process." Rather eye-opening I must say. :)
Roberta

Anne said...

I also look forward to reading your review. (Love the name of your blog, BTW)! It sounds like you realize some things about yourself that I've just started to become aware of (formula-hound etc.)

I've read the book. It had a negative effect on my thinking and personality and my parenting of my daughter. It made sense in theory, but I was never able to put it into practice in a realistic or effective way.

I just wrote a bit about it on my blog and would be interested to hear any comments you might have. I enjoy your blog and opinions!

Blessings,
Anne

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Have you watched the videos for the series? I found them even more profound and thought-provoking than the book. I find Tripp to focus on matters of the HEART and HOLY SPIRIT--not on formula, legalism, harshness....I don't find him to be authoritarian....he so directs us to get into RELATIONSHIP with our children and hold up heart mirrors.
I'll keep checking back in! WONDERFUL STUFF, ladies!
Ann holyexperience.blogspot.com

Meredith said...

Anne - I am meaning to come over to your blog and read about your experiences.

Ann - No, I have not seen the video series. Where would you get that from? I know what you mean about Tripp's approach. I've enjoyed reading about your attempts with mirrors and binoculars. You have such a gift for word pictures.

Tulipgirl - thanks for stopping by. I don't think I've heard of Clay Clarkson, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Meredith said...

Tulipgirl,

I thought that name sounded familiar. I have been exposed to their ministry and have read some about it. It does seem to be similar to what Ted Tripp is saying in his book. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, i really like it. I also have a site about how to play the clarinet
. If you are interested, please visit it here: how to play the clarinet

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about nestle chocolate bars
. You can check it out at nestle chocolate bars


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder